Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tot School

Lucas is 34 months. Gwendolyn is 11 months.

::Fine motor skills
we hammered.

and connected blue links.
and stacked up stacking rings.
and clipped clips on a bowl, on the couch and on my pants :) (Lucas and I did the clipping and Gwendolyn pulled them off)::Art time
Gwendolyn has been enjoying our outdoor easel. She doesn't draw much, but she does like to stand there looking purposeful, chewing on a marker.

Lucas stuck farm animal stickers on the barn. He loved it and asked for more stickers when he was done.

::Bottle cap play

I set this activity out with Gwendolyn in mind, but Lucas ended up liking it much more than she did. I put out a small tray full of bottle caps and two small toy garbage cans to fill with caps and dump out. Lucas got his recycle truck, poured all of the caps in there and drove around the living room with it. And Gwendolyn chased him. A definite success even though it wasn't at all what I had envisioned :)
::Block play
::Puzzles
::Outdoor fun
a bowl full of puffed rice and some random kitchen utensils makes for a fun time!

our bouquet of flowers was starting to wilt, so I brought them outside for Lucas to play with. Since he has been loving hammering so much lately, I thought we could try to work that in :) It's kind of an art/science fun activity. We put gladiolas on a piece of paper, covered them with another piece of paper and hammered.
a tray of rice, four scoops, and two funnels. The kids loved this activity and have asked for it over and over! Which thrills me because it is a great sensory something for Lucas to be doing.
hammering pasta :)
hammering chalk.
cleaning up the mess that all of the hammering makes :) I love that we can do all of our fun with food outside during the warm months! Clean up is so much easier than when we do it in the kitchen in the winter. Which means I am much more likely to give the kids fun stuff to do.


Tot School

5 comments:

Goat Gal said...

Wow here I was thinking my 10 month old wouldn't be participating in Tot school for quite some time. You have inspired me to think about activities that she would enjoy.

Anonymous said...

These are two beautiful and smart children with great parents teaching and inspiring them! Keep up the great work!!!
Hope you had a very happy birthday, Chan! Wish we could have been with you, the kids and Tim, but dad had to work! Raincheck!
We love you all, Mom

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

What a great post! Where did you find the blue links? My son loves hammering too - we are going to have to try hammering flowers and pasta. I know he will love it. Thanks for sharing such great ideas!

Chantel said...

Sarah - It all depends on the tot :) My daughter loves doing tot school activities. She's a calm baby that loves doing whatever her big brother is doing. Even if she isn't actually participating in an activity (rare) she's happy to sit and watch.
The thought of doing most of this stuff with my son at 11 months is laughable. He was a screaming path of destruction. Definitely not the sit and learn type.
But it never hurts to try and see if your little one might enjoy it!
Mom - :) Thanks! Tho I think you may be a bit biased :) But I have to agree they are smart and beautiful!!! lol And I'm completely impartial.
Nicole - Thanks!! I got the blue links from the local thrift store. Probably not much help to you :) The brand stamped on there is selfix. I looked on-line but couldn't find anything even remotely similar that the company still makes. I think they're actually for linking together into a chain for a hanging flower pot, not really toys. But my son LOVES them!! Hope you enjoy your hammering fun! Let me know if you post about it!

Susana said...

I really like the blue links and the pasta hammering:-)!! You guys did alot this week!